Upside Down Peach & Blueberry Cast Iron Cake
Recipe for 12″ cast iron
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1-1/2 cup Lt Brown Sugar
- 1-3/4 sticks Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 3 tbsp Buttermilk
- 3 large Eggs room temperature
- 1-1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Whole Milk room temperature
- 2-3/4 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1-1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Cardamom
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 4 fresh Peaches slided thin
- 1-1/2 cup Fresh Blueberries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- In a small bowl, mix together ¾ cup sugar and 1 Tbsp. cinnamon – set aside.
- Place the 1 ¾ sticks butter into a 12” cast iron skillet set to medium heat. Allow the butter to brown, stirring occasionally, approximately 6-8 minutes. Pour the browned butter into a large mixing bowl. Place a round of parchment over the already buttered cast iron skillet and press down to smooth out. Take your butter and brown sugar mixture and spread evenly across the bottom of the parchment covered pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the browned butter, the sour cream, buttermilk, eggs, ¾ C sugar, vanilla and milk. Beat until fully combined. Add the flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and cardamom and beat until just combined.
- Carefully place your peach slices over the butter paste, spiraling around the outside first, overlapping slightly, then fill the inside of the pan. Sprinkle that layer with the cinnamon sugar mixture, using about 3 Tbsp. to start, making sure to cover the peaches. Add the blueberries making sure they are evenly placed around the pan. Top with the cake batter and sprinkle with 3 Tbsp, all over the top of the cake. * Note: you will have extra cinnamon sugar.
- Place the skillet on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 40-45 minutes, until golden brown, the fruit will bubble around the edges and a knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the cast iron pan to loosen the cake. Carefully invert the cake onto a serving plate, make sure to remove the parchment if necessary.
- Serve with your favorite whipped cream.
- *To make in 4” cast iron pans, add 1 cup of batter to the peach-blueberry base, and bake for 18-20 minutes.