Tuna Poke on Crispy Rice with Spicy Truffle Mayo
Crispy fried rice bites are topped with rich spicy tuna, creamy spicy truffle mayo, and a kick of heat with a fresh jalapeño slice.
- 1 Small Sauce Pot
- 1 Tupperware
- 1 Cast Iron Skillet
- 2 mixing bowl
- 1 Chef's Knife
- 1 Cutting Board
- 1/2 lb sushi grade blue fin tuna
- 3 cups cooked sushi rice
- 1/4 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1/4 cup Bachan Brand Japanese BBQ sauce hot & spicy flavor
- 2 tablespoons ponzu sauce I used marukan brand
- 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp lime zest
- 1 shallot medium minced
- 1 tablespoon chives minced finely
- 1 jalapeño very thinly sliced
- Micro cilantro
- 1/4 cup truff spicy mayo
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tblsp sweet Thai chili sauce
Make the Crispy Rice
- In a small sauce pot, add your unseasoned rice vinegar, mirin, sugar and salt. Simmer on medium high heat until salt and sugar dissolve. Set aside to cool
- Follow cooking instructions on package of sushi rice. Once cooked, mix in your sushi rice vinegar mix.
- Get a small square Tupperware dish and lightly spray with cooking oil. Press the cooked sushi rice into the dish. Let it sit for 30 minutes or over night in the fridge. Then remove the rice from the dish and cut into cubes. If the rice isn’t holding it’s shape, spray your hands with cooking spray and carefully form the cubes in your hands.
- Heat about 1/2 an inch of vegetable oil in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Once the oil temperature reaches 375, carefully lower the pieces of rice into the oil, about 5 pieces at a time so as not to crowd the pan. Fry for 3-5 minutes per side or until golden brown. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain and cool.
Make the Spicy mayo
- Mix together the truff spicy mayo, sweet chili sauce, and sesame oil. Taste and adjust based on your preference.
- Make the tuna
- Chop the tuna into a fine mince. Keep on ice to remain fresh.
- In a bowl, mix the Bachan BBQ sauce, ponzu sauce, soy sauce, zests, shallots, and chives to make your tuna.
- Mix the tuna into the bowl with your tuna sauce.
- Spoon the spicy tuna on top of the crispy rice. Spoon or drop some of the spicy mayo on top and top with some micro cilantro and thinly sliced jalapeño.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!