Summer is the perfect time for outdoor barbecues with family and friends. And what better way to impress your guests than with St. Louis Style Spareribs with a summer-inspired homemade BBQ rub? This recipe is easy to make and will have your guests coming back for seconds. Jump to Recipe
For the BBQ rub, you’ll need a blend of brown and white sugar, ancho or preferred chili powder, smoked paprika, onion powder, salt, black pepper, and Coleman’s dry mustard. To give it a summer twist, you can add some fresh herbs like thyme, rosemary, or basil to the mix. This will add a fresh and vibrant flavor to the rub, perfect for summer.
To prepare the spareribs, start by searing them on an open grill to burn off some of the membrane on the bottom side of the ribs. This will help achieve the “fall off the bone” quality that is so desirable in a good barbecue. Next, smoke the ribs using your smoker according to the smoker guidelines. Make sure to use pecan or your preferred smoking wood chips to add a delicious smoky flavor to the ribs.
Once the ribs are smoked, generously coat them with the summer-inspired BBQ rub. Place them in a large enough roasting pan with a ½ inch of water. If you wish to increase the smoke flavor, add some liquid smoke to the water. Cover the pan tightly with foil and roast in a 350-degree oven for about 2 to 3 hours. Remove the ribs from the oven and allow them to cool.
To serve, place the ribs on a hot grill and baste them with your favorite summer-inspired barbecue sauce. You can use a fruity sauce with a hint of citrus or a spicy sauce with a kick of jalapeño. The possibilities are endless, and you can experiment with different flavors to find your perfect summer-inspired sauce.
In conclusion, St. Louis Style Spareribs with a summer-inspired homemade BBQ rub is the perfect dish for your next summer barbecue. It’s easy to make, delicious, and will have your guests coming back for more. So fire up the grill, grab your favorite summer beverage, and get ready to indulge in this mouth-watering dish that is sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
BBQ Pecan Smoked Spare Ribs
- Roasting Pan
- Smoking Wood Chips
- 3-4 lbs St. Louis Style Spareribs Approximately 10-12 oz per person
- 3 cups Brown sugar and White Sugar about 50/50 blend
- ½ cup Ancho or preferred Chili powder
- ½ cup Smoked Paprika
- ½ cup Onion Powder
- 3 Tbsp Salt
- ¼ cup Black pepper
- 2 tsp Coleman’s Dry mustard
- *Smoke ribs using your smoker according to smoker guidelines.
- *Generously coat ribs with the BBQ rub
- *Place in a large enough roasting pan with a ½ inch of water. (If you wish to increase smoke flavor add some liquid smoke to the water)
- *Cover tightly with foil and roast in 350 oven for about 2 to 3 hours. Remove and allow to cool.
- *To serve, place on a hot grill and baste with your favorite sauce.
*Sear Ribs on open grill to burn off some of the membrane on the bottom side of the ribs. This will help in achieving the “fall off the bone” quality.