Beer Cheese Soup
- Heavy Bottom Pot
- Blender or Vitamix
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Small Yellow Onion
- 4 Cloves Garlic (Microplaned or Minced)
- 2 Tbsp. Chopped Fresh Sage
- ¼ Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Tbsp. Potato Starch
- 2 tsp. Paprika
- 2 Tbsp. Apple Butter or Pumpkin Butter
- 2 Cups ½ & ½
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth *Optional: Vegetable Broth
- 1 12 oz Bottle Lager
- ½ Cup Apple Cider
- 1 Chopped Apple (Honey Crisp or Granny Smith)
- 1 Tbsp. Chipotle Sauce
- 1 tsp. Espresso Dark Balsamic* *Optional Topping: Pumpkin Seeds, Cooked Smoked Sausage, or Chorizo
- 1 Tbsp. Sherry Vinegar
- 3 Cups Grated Sharp Cheddar (Red Fox English Cheddar is my favorite for this recipe.)
- 4 oz. Brie Cheese Cubed (Rind removed.)
- ¼ tsp. Cayenne
- In a heavy bottom pot, over medium heat, melt butter and olive oil. Add the chopped onion, garlic, paprika, sage, and apple. Cook until golden, about 5-8 minutes. Whisk in the flour and potato starch, stirring for about 3 minutes. Gently stir in the milk and whisk until smooth. Add the chicken broth, beer, cider, chipotle, salt, and pepper to taste. Allow to simmer until the apple has softened.
- Place the soup into a blender and blend until very smooth. Return to pot and allow to cook on low. Add the espresso balsamic, sherry vinegar, cayenne and both cheeses. Stir until cheese has melted completely. Add salt to taste, if necessary.
- Serve with toasted pretzel crisps.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!